Monday, January 12, 2015

30 Day Challenge - Day 11 Being Single

Your Current Relationship-If Single, Discuss 
How Single Life Is

Sums it up quite nicely!


So, yeah...I am single.  Clearly.  

Being single in your 30s, especially when they are about to become your 40s at any. fucking. second.  is a little tricky.  I am single for a handful of reasons, or so I tell myself.  They are as follows:

1.  I don't trust myself.  After wasting two ENTIRE years of my life in the lamest relationship in the world , I actually don't trust myself, or any judgements I have when it comes to people I might see as "dateable".  I will probably end up being that dirty old lady that lays out by her pool all day in a leopard-print bikini, showing miles of tanned, wrinkly skin, sipping a cocktail at 11am, and copping a feel if the pool boy gets a little too close.  I am okay with that....as long as the pool boy looks like Ryan Gosling.  Or Matt Damon.  Whatever...I'm not that picky.

It would be worth it....

2.  Little Roo.  My daughter has an excellent relationship with her father, so I don't need to be out running around trying to find a 'Baby Daddy'; my little girl has an excellent one, thanyouverymuch.  Also, I have more free time to try to find ways to win arguments with her or get one over on her when I am single.  (That actually takes up a lot of my free time!)
 

3.  The word 'compromise' is not in my vocabulary.  I am not interested in sharing anything with anyone right now, besides my nutty family. I also have ZERO tolerance for bullshit, which sorta narrows the dating field a teensy bit!


4.     This.
Seriously.  Single because Ryan Gosling.  Totally. Legit.
5.  I sure as hell have no desire to be married.  Again, I totally approve of other people's marriages, and support the decision people make to spend the rest of their lives with each other, but that is really not my thing.  Unless, of course, your name is Ryan Gosling, in which case.....I DO!!  I'm not really sure what I have against that particular institution, but I can't ever see myself voluntarily checking into it again.....drunken weddings in Vegas don't count, right??

If her apron was a bit cooler, this could be me!
 So, what is single life like?  Totally awesome, of course!

A) I get to sleep with whomever I want.   Translation:  I wake up with Roo's elbows, feet (urgh!), or hair in my face on a regular basis.
B) I get to do whatever I want.  Translation:  I have tons of free time to do the stuff Roo tells me to do.  Immediately.
 C) I don't worry about trying to impress someone.  Translation:  Haven't shaved my legs in 2 weeks.  Winning!

I actually don't mind being single....I was a serial-dater for about...oh, forever; and then I did the whole crash-and-burn thing with numb-nuts, so a break is a good thing.  Also, I can't imagine bringing any guys that I approve of into Roo's life right now....she has a little too much going on for me to be distracted by trying to be a girlfriend/partner/whatever the hell you call an old lady dating.  So, I have decided it's perfectly ok to do the whole 'random-crushes-on-inappropriate-people', combined with 'friends-with-benefits' until Roo is older, and I am (hopefully) wiser.

I think my life is more interesting when I am single.  I write more, I take better care of myself, and I am definitely a more engaged mom. 
I am sure that I will, eventually, start dating again, but until that happens, I will just keep doing what I am doing...being content...being Mom...being Mary.

That's the best I can do right now, and I think it's good enough.

Unless I was doing THIS...which is WAY better than 'good enough'.
 Cheers!

1 comment:

Is It Hot In Here? Menopause, Motherhood & More said...

LOVE your honesty! Thanks for a much-needed laugh today!

Sad But True

So, I’ve been reading Stephen King’s 11/23/63 novel the last few days, and I cannot help feeling personally attacked tonight by it. The book...