Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Day 1 - What Am I Grateful For?



So, it is November.
My favorite month of the year.

Jimbo's birthday.
My FAVORITE brother's birthday.
Lexi's birthday.
One of my other favorite human's birthdays (11/22)

THANKSGIVING!!

Oh, how I love Turkey Day.

November is the month that Fall is over, but Winter (hopefully) hasn't started.
November is the fallow field, the pause that enlightens, the moment in between.

Every store that was shoving Pumpkin Spice EVERYTHING is now pushing Peppermint EVERYTHING at you.

Forget the Pilgrims and Indians and Gratitude (because White Privilege, you fuckers!), we are now in the foyer to Christmas.

I deny that.

REJECT IT.

I love November.  Veteran's Day (Semper Fi), Thanksgiving, Black Friday...LOL kidding, FUCK your consumerism!!

I like November because it is a pause between fall and winter.
I like November because every November I am reminded of the 2 most influential people in my life.  The two people that have tested my patience, reminded me that we are all flawed, and taught me the most about love.
November is, unsurprisingly, the most special month ever because of Lexi and Jimbo.

The fact that they were born in the same month, and therefore share many characteristics -- charm, acquisitiveness, a sense of always being right -- would not surprise any hippy-dippy person that believes in astrology or random shit like that.

As a Libra, I can honestly say all astrology is bullshit, but something about November reminds me of Jim and Lexi.

November was Jim's JAM!!  Thanksgiving and feeding people, making his amazing corn casserole, running back and forth making plates for his staff (plates I begrudged every single ounce of, as it cut into my leftovers!!), celebrating Lexi's birthday in the most extravagant fashion ever...Having his Anniversary of Ownership at the Club, celebrating his birthday at the bar....November is all Jim all the time for me, and I am so grateful for that.

Without him I wouldn't have Roo.

Without him I wouldn't have this cadre of amazing humans that I love, that love me and check in on me and Lex to make sure we are maintaining...

I am so grateful for my friend.

I am so grateful for November.

I am so grateful that there is a holiday that celebrates abundance and FOOD.

ME!!!


I am so grateful for my Roo.

This year, as we have every year since we met him, we will make Jim's corn casserole, and celebrate it's deliciousness.

This year as we have every year since we met him, we will celebrate Jimbo's birthday.

This year, as we have every year since we met him, we will celebrate Lexi's birthday.

This year, just like we did last year, we will come together and remember our friend.... Jim/James/Jimbo/Jimmers?Jimmy (although only his mom called him that!!)

gone, not forgotten


This year we will remember our friend that is no longer with us, physically, but always with us in heart.

This year I am grateful for who and where I have been, and who and where I am.

This year....so different from last year and the year before that.

And I am SO grateful for that..this year and all the years to follow.

peas and carrots

No comments:

Sad But True

So, I’ve been reading Stephen King’s 11/23/63 novel the last few days, and I cannot help feeling personally attacked tonight by it. The book...