Thursday, November 2, 2017

Librans Do Not Believe In Astrology, But Since I Am A Virgo, It's All Good

(pseudo) Science can be fun!




Writing with prompts is super fun...mostly.




The problem with these 30 Day Blog Challenges is that there are always 2 or 3 prompts that require me to disclose things I don't feel comfortable about.




Which sounds made up, because I am pretty candid here, and have discussed things that, in retrospect, I probably shouldn't if I ever plan on running for political office such as the Nevada County Board of Supervisors, District 4, in 2025.




Anyway, this time I am actually going to make it through the full 30, but the only way I can do that is to cut and paste from the, like, 50 thousand prompt sheets my friend Veronica at Grown Up Tantrums sent me.




Today I am meant to be to be discussing my zodiac sign and whether or not it suits me.  Which I find super ironic because I don't believe in astrology one bit.  I mean, it would be nice to think that I could go online and read my horoscope every day and have all the fun stuff they predict, but it isn't possible.....SCIENCE, yo.




Here is what the interwebs have to say about Libras:
Totally me.






Traditional Libra Traits
Diplomaitic and urbane (Yes, they misspelled 'diplomatic', it was not me!)
  Romantic and charming
Easygoing and sociable
Idealistic and peaceable

Libra On the dark side....

Indecisive and changeable
Gullible and easily infuenced
Flirtatious and self-indulgent  (I fail to see these as bad!!)



OR


Libra is ruled by Venus. In ancient Roman mythology, Venus was a smooth seductress who was at her best amid pleasurable excess. Well, Libras are certainly carrying the torch for her today. The Scales are cultured, refined and love beautiful things. Most of all, they love beautiful people, which is why Libras do so well at cocktail parties or at the theater, opera or ballet. Those born under this sign always have the right thing to say and know how to make others feel comfortable. Suave? You bet. Libras are so adept at charming conversation that they need to be mindful of overstepping their boundaries and appearing vain or gossipy (the Scales do love intrigue). When these folks are on their game, however, they are a pleasure to be with. Libras are artistic, stylish and enjoy creating a beautiful world. The converse of this is that bored Libras can become apathetic and lazy -- but they'll smile anyway.




OR
Gracious, fair, and balanced Libra is among the most social and popular signs of the zodiac! Ruled by Venus, Libra is a loving sign that focuses strongly on partnership and prioritizes the needs of others. This sign of the Scales is blessed with a natural sense of right and wrong, making them very focused on trust, honesty, and fairness.


I ask you, who wouldn't like to believe those things about themselves?  Charming, suave, gracious, artistic, stylish, and a pleasure to be with?  WELL, DUH!!!  Everyone knows that about me!  Gullible and easily "influenced?" (they spelled it wrong on the page I copied it from!)...not so much. 


"It depends on your rising sign" astrology fans argue....WHAT DO THOSE WORDS EVEN MEAN?  No, wait, don't tell me.  Please.  I don't care.


Also, not to get all science-y on you, but there is controversy on whether the astrological signs are even correct because they were mapped out a gazillion years ago and things in the heavens have shifted because of 'wobble', 'precession', and other science-y words I am going to stop throwing at you.  (also, there are THIRTEEN signs, not 12--GTS, I am serious!)


Soooo.....because of that, I am actually a Virgo.  Wanna know what Virgos are like?  DUH!  You should already know, since I am one!!  Remember??  Suave, charming, always says the right thing....Whoops!  That's a Libra.


Nevermind.


This is what the internet people think I am like:
Also totally me.





Virgo Strength Keywords:

- Analytical
- Observant
- Helpful
- Reliable
- Precise

Virgo Weakness Keywords:

- Skeptical
- Fussy
- Inflexible
- Cold
- Interfering



OR


A Virgo's brain is in overdrive most of the time, which is why these folks get so much done. Those born under this sign are also able communicators and use their mental acuity to maximum advantage. All of this brainpower can make Virgos prone to skepticism, and can even lead to the kind of over-think that surely leads to overkill. Thankfully, though, Virgos are also a studious lot and can temper their worst impulses with a bit of careful analysis. Virgos enjoy studying a situation in great detail, whether it's a work project or a friendship. Virgins are truly interested in understanding things. The bane of many Virgos is the perfectionism that can get in the way of their usual clear thinking. 'I'm not a perfectionist; I'm discriminating!'


OR


Perfection comes in the form of Virgo, the sixth sign of the zodiac. This hardworking, detail-oriented, and critical sign is represented by the Virgin for its pure and discriminating nature. Observant Virgo is quick to notice flaws and fix them, helping others reach their highest potential.


Ummmm...have you met me?  Of COURSE I am an able communicator with mental acuity and a healthy dose of skepticism, you all know that about me, right? 


Also, cold and interfering as well - ask anyone in my family!


When I was a teenager, I totally got into astrology and would read my horoscope and check if my current crush was compatible with my Libra loveliness.  I would look forward to good news or romantic intrigue at the office, and not really notice when that shit didn't happen (lol, what OFFICE?) because tomorrow is another day and another horoscope was waiting for me.  When I was in my 20s, I would rip out Cosmo's 12 month astrology every month and stick it in with the Christmas deco, and then pull it out in December and see if they got any of that shit right.....more often than not, resounding NO.


Is it a coincidence that I have only ever been in long term and/or important relationships with Pisces and Scorpios?  Or that the only 2 dudes I ever had a 'thing' for but was too shy (yes, I am shy...Libras are known for it.)  Wait, Libras are outgoing, it's Virgo's that are shy...and since I AM A VIRGO, I am frickin' SHY, dammit!) to approach were both Libras?


I mean, I am pretty sure I humped a Leo or 2 in my 20s,  but it CAN"T be coincidence, right?  Virgos and Pisces are a terrific love match, so it makes allllllllll the sense.


Except that Virgos are a terrible match in love or friendship with Geminis, and my super duper very best friend on the planet was born on June 19.  Do we bring out the worst in each other like the astrology wizards say?  Occasionally, but for the most part we get along ridiculously well and spend more time together than I think most adult siblings normally do.


All of this ranting and raving and blustering just to tell you that my feelings about astrology are the same as my feelings about the earth being flat.  It's silly and funny and makes an interesting diversion when I am surfing the 'net (haha, who even talks like that any more?) at 1:30 am, desperately trying to find something to read that will put me to sleep.  But is it real?  No. 
SCIENCE, people. 


Fucking science.

Ummm...Ryan Gosling is a SCORPIO.  And it says they are PERFECT for Virgos. "Incredible match", "interesting sex life"  ummm....sign me up on the astrology train!
 Yessss!  I  love astrology!








No comments:

Sad But True

So, I’ve been reading Stephen King’s 11/23/63 novel the last few days, and I cannot help feeling personally attacked tonight by it. The book...