Saturday, May 23, 2015

Chocolate Covered Chicken-Fried Awesomeness

 
 

I need another nickname for the extra ten (15, whatever.) pounds I am carrying around.  I’ve been calling it 'Bertha' for the last 5 years--35 seemed awful old to be talking about losing my 'Freshman 15'. 

 
The thing is, that this 15 pounds has been in and out of my life since I was about 20 years old, making it the 2nd longest relationship in my life, and I just don't think Bertha is cutting it –she needs a more serious, dignified name to properly commemorate her status as my life partner.

Really, what I should do is try to catch the fitness bug that seems to be hot and heavy this time of year, but I don't know how.  I see droves of people on social media posting before and after pictures, or sharing their 5 mile hike or the 20000 steps they walked today, and I think, how do they do that?  I mean, I also think that Fitbit will turn out to be the Mark of the Beast when the 2pacalypse comes, but that's just me, hating on technology. 

 
Don't get me wrong, I exercise.  Occasionally.  Usually in the 2-3 weeks before a wedding, vacation, or other event that necessitates buying a new outfit.  I load up on lettuce, and tell Bertha to pack her shit.  I go outside and jog and do pushups and things in the morning, but I have to make myself do it.  Every day. And it's a struggle.  Two days after whatever life event prompted the fitness phase, Bertha shows up with a 6 pack of IPA and a bucket of Reese's-Peanut-Butter-Cup-Pepperoni-and-Mushroom-Brie-Baguette-Delight and a stack of Jennifer Weiner novels, and I scooch over on my couch and, gladly, make room for her.

 I look at my fitness freak friends posting glowing, triumphant selfies from the top of some mountain they jogged up, and I wish I could do that--then I realize that there is left-over pizza-lasagna in the fridge (it's a real thing) and Sex and the City on On Demand.  So, yeah, there is that.

 
I really feel like there must be some fitness virus I can catch, you know?  Like I can go rub my hands all over some muscly, marathon-running person, preferably a 35 year-old male one, and --boom!-- I would instantly be at GNC buying protein powder and doing P90X (is that even cool anymore?) before breakfast. 

I mean, seriously, how else but a virus do you explain perfectly normal people ranting and raving about how awesome it feels to do 45 minutes worth of cardio before the sun is up, and without a cup of coffee first.  Is it a cult?  A form of self-hypnotism?  Whaaaaat?? I want in on that shit, yo. 

Seriously. 

Bertha is fun, and she makes my boobs look (and feel, I’ve heard the reviews) like magic, but I want a divorce.

Any of you fitness freaks want to come over and sneeze on me or share your Kool Aid?

Anyone?

 

 

No comments:

Sad But True

So, I’ve been reading Stephen King’s 11/23/63 novel the last few days, and I cannot help feeling personally attacked tonight by it. The book...