Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Liar, Liar, Pants On Fire






"A time you lied"



Interestingly enough, I lie every single day…to me.



'A time".



That is singular.  Oops.



I lie and say I am too old and fat and too much of a hippie to care that I am old and fat.  But I care.  Not enough to put down the new Reese's Pieces-Stuffed Peanut Butter Cups, but I do care.



I lie and say I am fine. 



And I am not fine. 



My baby girl's dad died 3 weeks ago tonight and I am forced daily to watch her struggle and fight through the grief at the loss of her BFF -- they were seriously the best pals -- and try to make arrangements and tie up loose ends, all the while assuring everyone I am fine when I cannot even take 5 minutes to process the death of my roomie, my BFF, and my obnoxious co-parent because I have to run around worrying about 'offending' people or making people feel 'left out' when all I am trying to do is get this shit tied up and closed out as quickly and cleanly as possible-- for my daughter and for her siblings who are broken as well.



I lie and say I WILL NOT smoke another cigarette today.



I lie and say TOMMOROW I will get up at 5 and exercise.



I lie and say I am okay with being alone and self-sufficient when deep down I really wish I could turn to someone and say 'Please help me with this, I can't manage this on my own'. 



I lie and say that I will change.  That I will take up yoga to calm my restless brain (and tone my chubby form), even though I always topple over and worry about farting during Child's Pose like the person in front of me inevitably does.



I lie and say I will not lose my patience; I will be softer and kinder and allow people in.



A time that I lie is when I am awake. 



When there is another thing to check off the list. 



When there is another person insisting I clean up their mess because I have a job and some discretionary income and a little bit of logic, so OF COURSE I should drop everything and go rescue them from the same self-inflicted crap they created by being thoughtless and careless and living champagne lives on a Boone's Farm income.



The best thing about #500WordsADay is that, when I write this stuff, it flows organically and then I go back to revise and edit and learn things about myself that I didn't know, or gain insights I hadn't seen.





I think what I learned from this one is that I am doing myself a major disservice by lying to myself.



I think this was a good way to look at my lies and expose them to the light.



I hope I have the courage to do that.



And I hope that last sentence wasn't another lie.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love it ����

Anonymous said...

The biggest lie of all, is when you think your sacrifices for others will be worth it in the end? Thomas has learned his lesson!

Sad But True

So, I’ve been reading Stephen King’s 11/23/63 novel the last few days, and I cannot help feeling personally attacked tonight by it. The book...